While you are on a roll with taking down your holiday decorations, why not do some decluttering while you are at it? Nothing better than starting off the new year with an organized home. Below are some easy steps on tackling this.
- Sort through closets to clean, donate, or sell any items. Below is a good rule of thumb to use while doing this:
- Does it fit?
- Have I worn this in the past 12 months?
- Is it likely I will ever wear this again?
- If I was shopping right now, would I buy this?
- Is this currently in style?
- Clean out your pantry and throw away any expired items
- Throw away any tupperware that no longer has matching lid/bottom
- Donate any unused appliances
- Toss any scratched pans
- Donate any unused cookbooks
- Toss any expired/freezer burned items from the refrigerator
- Remove any empty bottles from shower/under sink
- Donate/toss any damaged/stained towels
- Replace bath mats
- Toss any expired medicine and sunscreen
- Toss an unused/expired makeup
- Deep clean carpets/upholstery
- Clean fireplace/chimney
- Clean drapes
- Toss any old magazines/catalogs
- Shred any confidential documents/old bills
- Toss any dried out pens, markers, highlighters
- Properly dispose of any unused/dried out paint cans
- Repair/toss any broken equipment
- Toss/donate any unwanted holiday decor
- Toss any broken tools